Are you one of the many individuals who feel anxious or nervous about visiting the dentist? Please know that you are not alone. According to Anxiety UK, up to 53% of the UK population are scared of visiting the dentist. At our dentist in Kidlington, we understand your anxieties and offer numerous steps to make you feel at ease in our care.
If you miss dental appointments, many tooth issues can escalate and be harder to treat. At The White Bridge Clinic, we decided that nobody should be afraid of visiting the dentist, and we are here to help everybody get the dental care they need in a calm, comfortable environment.
Understanding dental anxiety
First of all, we need to understand what dental anxiety looks like and remember that it can stem from various factors, including:
- Fear of pain: The fear of dental treatments hurting is cited as the tops cause of dental anxiety. However, modern dentistry offers painless options for treatment, such as needle-free dentistry, sedation and digital scanning (see below for more information).
- Past traumatic experiences: Any negative experience at the dentist can lead to apprehension about future visits. We create a different, positive experience for you.
- Fear of the unknown: Not knowing what to expect during a dental appointment can be anxiety-inducing. We’re dedicated to providing clear explanations of procedures to ease your concerns.
- Loss of control: Feeling helpless or out of control during dental procedures can lead to anxiety. We always communicate and keep you involved in your decisions and treatment plans.
- Fear of needles – we hear a lot that people don’t want to visit the dentist because they hate needles. We offer a great new instrument called Quicksleeper, and this latest innovation delivers anaesthetic to the tooth, but without the injection!
- Uncomfortable impressions – many patients dislike the putty moulds in their mouth, and it stops them visiting the dentist. We offer digital scanning to eliminate the need for messy and uncomfortable putty moulds.
Innovative solutions to help nervous dental patients
We are committed to creating a comfortable and stress-free environment, offering innovative solutions to address dental anxiety. In this blog post, we’ll explore some cutting-edge technologies and techniques, such as Quicksleeper 5, digital scans, and dental IV sedation, designed to make your dental experience as pleasant as possible.
Quicksleeper 5 – no need for injections
With so many people having a fear or phobia about needles, we felt it was time to attempt to make this a thing of the past. That’s why we’ve invested in Quicksleeper 5. It’s an innovative computer system that delivers anaesthetic directly to the tooth in need of treatment. It’s incredibly quick, and effective and will not make your lips and mouth numb. It lasts for around 1.5 hours and is great for patients of all ages. This innovative system ensures you can have a pain-free experience, allowing us to focus on providing the best dental care without unnecessary stress.
Trios Intraoral Scanner – no more putty moulds!
For patients who cringe at the thought of traditional dental impressions involving gooey putty, digital scans offer a welcome alternative. Our state-of-the-art digital scanning technology, using the Trios Intraoral Scanner, allows us to create detailed and accurate 3D images of your teeth and gums without any mess or discomfort.
Digital scans are not only more comfortable but also faster and more precise than traditional impressions. The images captured enable us to plan and execute your dental treatment with a higher level of accuracy. This technology is especially beneficial for nervous patients who may find traditional impressions challenging.
Sedation – when you need extra help to relax
For individuals with severe dental anxiety or those undergoing extensive procedures, dental IV sedation is a viable option to ensure a calm and relaxed experience. IV sedation is administered intravenously, inducing a state of deep relaxation while still allowing you to remain conscious and responsive. Our sedation treatment is administered by our principal dentist, Dr Amit Mohindra. He is trained in this area and has kept his knowledge up to date throughout the years.
Other top tips for nervous patients
We’re here to help you feel at ease during your dental treatment. Consider these tips to make your next dental visit stress-free:
- Schedule an early appointment: Booking an early morning appointment can help reduce waiting times, giving you less time to dwell on your anxiety.
- Bring a friend or family member: Having someone you trust with you can provide comfort and support during your visit.
- Talk to us beforehand: Before your appointment, have a conversation with us about your concerns. We can explain the procedure and address any questions or worries you may have.
- Use earphones: Listening to your favourite music or an audiobook can distract you from the sounds of the dental equipment and make the experience more enjoyable.
- Practice deep breathing: Deep, slow breaths can help relax your body and mind. Try inhaling deeply through your nose and exhaling through your mouth when you are able during your appointment.
- Raise a hand: If you want our dentist to stop at any time during treatment, please raise a hand, and we will pause treatment and re-commence when you want us to continue.
Gentle dentistry at The White Bridge Clinic
At The White Bridge Clinic, we prioritise your comfort and well-being. Our commitment to incorporating modern technologies like Quicksleeper 5 and digital scans, along with the option of dental IV sedation, is aimed at making your dental experience as positive and stress-free as possible.
Please don’t let dental anxiety prevent you from having optimal oral health and a healthy and stunning smile. Contact our compassionate team today on 01865 951861 to schedule an appointment and take the first step towards a worry-free dental experience.
We’re here every step of the way to support you on your journey to a radiant, healthy smile.